Do you find yourself shopping for tyres with the mindset of price over safety? It’s time to make a change!
Tyre shopping with ‘price goggles’ is a dangerous game; As a car owner it is your responsibility to ensure your car is as safe as possible for you, your passengers and fellow drivers.Budget tyres have a limited lifespan meaning you end up paying more to replace them and contribute to Australia’s ever-growing tyre scrap pile.
DID YOU KNOW?
An Australian RACV survey found that more than 500,000 used tyres were imported in the last financial year – 30% of tyres purchased were considered NOT roadworthy.
COMPARING BUDGET TYRES
Road tests (like in the video below) have shown a huge difference in emergency braking times (at average road speeds) when comparing ‘budget tyres’ and ‘respected branded tyres’. In this video budget tyres are compared to Continental Tyres.
WHAT’S WRONG WITH BUDGET TYRES?
- Have a shorter lifespan and need replacing quicker
- The cheaper the tyre the less safe it is on the road
- Can cost you more in petrol as they have higher rolling resistance compared to quality brands
- They are made of poor quality ingredients that are no match for our harsh Australian climate – much more susceptible to drying out, cracking, fracturing etc.
- They lack in quality and grip (especially in the wet), usually have little or no silica in them so are downright dangerous in wet conditions – aquaplaning in very heavy rain is not just a faint possibility, it is highly likely
- They are usually noisy, especially as they start to wear
- They are harder to balance (normally have to have more wheel weights added to them and the weights falloff from time to time so are more likely to have vibration issues)
BUT I CAN’T AFFORD THE MOST EXPENSIVE TYRES?
We are not saying you need to get the most expensive tyre for your vehicle. We have an extensive range of tyres in stock for most vehicle makes and models and can talk through all of the features and benefits of each so that you can make an informed decision that is not based on price alone. Don’t get us wrong there is a difference between ‘affordable tyres’ and ‘cheap tyres’.
There are tyres on the market today in Australia that do not meet any of the Australian standards. The Australian climate and roads are considered as ‘harsh on tyres’ by tyre manufacturers and hence not all tyres products are suitable here. In fact, leading tyre brands such as Yokohama, Pirelli and Bridgestone don’t import some of their main tyre lines here as they are just not suited to the conditions.
The problem with cheap tyres is that they are made overseas for different environmental and road conditions and simply do not run well here. The quality control in extremely budget tyre manufacturers is also very poor. Some of the tyres are imported with freight damage, manufacturing defaults and all sorts of dangerous blemishes but they still make it into the retail market. It is our job as a leading tyre retailer to sift through the thousands of tyre products available and select ones that are of good quality, are safe and will work in our environment. We understand that for most people, tyres are a grudge purchase but we will not drop our tyre price down to the point where we are selling something dangerous.
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN PURCHASING TYRES..
- An extra $10 in price could mean the difference between tyres that grip during an accident and tyres that don’t
- Safety is not the only benefit of spending a little more on your tyres. Tyres also impact your fuel economy, car noise, general tyre wear, wet weather grip and more.
- Paying a little more now can end up saving you money as your tyres will last longer and not need replacing as soon as cheaper tyres would
- Budget tyres are cheap for a reason
- Do the tyres have a guarantee or warranty. Mazzini is our leading entry level tyre and it is covered by a manufactures warranty and also comes with a 30 day hassle free guarantee
HOW DO I CHOOSE THE RIGHT TYRES?
Visit Action Tyres & More in Southport and our friendly staff will be happy to assist you in choosing the best (and most affordable) tyres for your car without compromising on quality or safety.
Don’t forget about our new Price Beat Guarantee! If you come across a cheaper tyre or wheel we will beat it by $10.